Monday, May 20, 2013

Haleighanna's Hands: Tools that I Can't Live Without

Every crafter and artist has their favorite tools. For some it's paper, or that beloved die-cutting system or rubber stamps. Below are my eight "I've-got-to-have-them-or-I'm-not-sure-I-can-go-on" supplies. The list is in no particular order.

The Glues

Want to glue wood? Metal? Glass? Then E-6000 is absolutely the answer. I have used it to glue organic material to wood, metal to canvas, and well, the list is just too long. It will do just about anything you need it to do. (Note: This is not a glue for kids and you should use it in a well-ventilated space).

Is there anything that I can tell you about Mod Podge that you don't know? I use it whenever I am decoupaging. It adheres so well and adds a great seal. I apply coat after coat and it gives my work a varnish feel. Usually I use the Matte finish.

Liquidex Matte Medium Gel can be used as an adhesive, but I must admit that I use it more for photo transfers. It dries clear and creates a skin that grabs laser toner and won't let go. It can show brush strokes so it requires a light touch, but it's the only way that I have gotten photos to transfer.

The Cutting Tools

Fiskars, how do I love thee? Let me count the ways. My paper trimmer (which is no longer available) has a swing arm and has been with me through thick and thin. For more precise work, I use the Fiskars Micro-Tip scissors. I am not as adept with a utility knife as I would like to be; the Micro-Tip scissors help me get into tight corners.

When I first started scrapbooking, I grabbed the Making Memories eyelet setting kit and since then we have had a long and fruitful relationship. Punch, setter, tweezers and so much more. It's portable and I love that everything has a place in the tin. I have had it for years and the punch bits are still sharp.

Acrylic and the Acrylic Gobbler

I use a lot of acrylic paint in my work. I like Folk Art from Plaid because it does give you artist quality paints at an affordable price. Lots of colors to choose from.

Then, where would I be without rubbing alcohol? It gobbles the acrylic paint and provides some tremendous effects. I poor it into a spray bottle, spray it onto my work, and then remove it and the paint with paper towels. (Note: Again ventilation is key for this technique and I would use this technique sparingly on paper alone. The whole process gets pretty wet and will warp paper if it is not adhered to a stronger substrate.)

That's my list. What tools or product can you just not live without?

No comments: