Thursday, January 9, 2014

Art Journal Thursdays: Goal Art


We are well and truly into the new year. As it happens, I had a significant birthday just a few weeks ago. And I finished an art journal. These things collided into a desire to do a goals page. I know. There are a lot of blog posts about New Year’s resolutions. I inwardly groaned as I thought about sharing this post, but goals that are not shared are too easily forgotten. So, dear friends, here it is.

 Goals written on vintage note paper.

Goal: Do more encaustic work.
I have a fascination and abiding love of encaustic artwork. When I was little, I remember my mother taking me to an art class. We played with melted crayons; it was yummy. Plus I have always loved the idea of depth (see my blog post, “The Old Me Meets the Current Me”). So encaustic painting seems like it would be a great fit. Except for one thing; it scares the crap out of me. I took a course from Serena Barton and it took the edge off of the fear so now it’s time to do some work.

Used card stock alphabet stickers from my stash. Gessoed, painted and inked. Then all of it removed with rubbing alcohol.

Goal: Buy less stuff.
I don’t think this one needs an explanation. You know what I am talking about.

Old sticker, mounted on ephemera and a cardboard letter stencil.

Goal: Document my life. 
Scrapbooking was my gateway drug into mixed media. I used to scrapbook all the time but when I learned that I could do other things, I stopped scrapbooking. But as I culled through our family photos looking for a particular photo, it occurred to me how important these photos are. I forget things

A Tim Holtz stamp stamped on card stock and cut out.

Goal: Journal again.
But scrapbooking isn't the only way that a life gets documented. I need to keep better records of my days and the things I am doing to achieve my goals. Lastly, I need to do more spiritual journaling. Taking the time to read scripture and working through what it means to me, letting God have the space to talk to me, has had a significant impact in my life. Sadly, I have let this practice lapse. Time to start again.

Goal: Do more me.
This goal is about trust. It’s about trusting my instincts. It’s about being willing to fail and move on quickly so that I can move more toward the artist that I want to be.

So that’s the list. What’s on your list?

No comments: