Thursday, February 20, 2014

Art Journal Thursday: Uncertainty


A couple of weeks ago, my husband and I made the decision to move back home. It was a difficult decision because there are so many unanswered questions.

So there has been a lot of stuff swirling around my head. Is this the right thing to do? Should we stay here and stick it out? Is this the path that God wants us to take? There aren't any quick or bright, shining answers. There is just hope, faith, and inspiration for this week’s journal page.

I found this number and decided to use it since it was my age. I had other numbers in the collage, but they didn't make the cut.

I gessoed the underlying page and then added some dress pattern tissue to add texture. I started an image transfer but too much of the toner came off, so I added a thin layer of gesso. I decided to keep it because it felt like the hidden piece of me that is actively living with the uncertainty. I added another, smaller version of the transfer in the lower corner. This is the “me” that is on the outside.

Using my own portrait feels like a big risk, but makes the page so much more personal. 

I thinned midnight blue and black acrylic paint and applied them around the page randomly. When I took a step back, I realized that there were compartments. (Maybe this is the state of my thoughts…Am I compartmentalizing?)

The tissue paper create crooks and crannies for the thinned paint to pool in.

I layered the thin paint over and over; sometimes on top of the same color, sometimes overlapping. I then applied a thin layer of gesso to incorporate the layers. I created writing space by applying full strength gesso on the page.

I used a Pitt brush pen to write; if you make a mistake, just take a little rubbing alcohol to remove it and let it dry.

The writing forced me to stop the swirling and really focus on the questions and fears I have. It yielded no answers, but the swirling has slowed down from gale force to a gentle breeze.

How has art journaling helped you articulate your thoughts and fears?

No comments: