Monday, April 8, 2013

Haleighanna's Hands: Barnabas Collins and the Most Peaceful Place on Earth

When I was a little girl, one of my earliest memories was watching the original Dark Shadows on television. I remember the thrill of being frightened by the Gothic eeriness of Collinwood while huddled behind my mother's legs as she napped on the couch. Watching the waves hit the Oregon coast, I realized just how much it formed my deep love of a rocky seacoast.

Last week, I travelled to Portland for a very short visit. There is something (besides the reminisces of campy, daytime soap operas with terrible writing and even worse special effects) that fills my soul with peace and serenity. I wanted to share some of this special place with you.

Waves crashing against the rocky coast, just like the opening of Dark Shadows
 
The coast outside of Oceanside, Oregon.

It was a perfect day for flying a kite. I was bundled up against the wind and these girls were barefoot.
 
Grandma and grandson braving the Oregon spring weather.
 
Gulls looking for a little food.


Oregon is really one of my favorite places on earth. What's your favorite place? Where are you the most peaceful? Why is it your favorite place?
 

 

2 comments:

barbara macaskill said...

My favorite place is on my patio on a warm summer morning. Watching my dogs running around and seeing my beautiful flower garden filled with butterfliea!

Unknown said...

That sounds wonderful. What kind of dogs do you have?