Monday, July 8, 2013

Haleighanna's Hands is Moving!

My new mantra!

Yesterday I kissed my husband goodbye as he left with almost all of our worldly possessions and headed to Vancouver, Washington. Today, I gave notice at my job. On August 1, I am driving across the Western part of the country to meet my husband and begin a new life.  

As Tom Cruise said in Risky Business, "Sometimes you just have to say 'what the f*&k!" A memorable line in a pretty forgettable movie. But it is true. Sometimes you have to take a flyer on something.  

For a long time, I have felt that something was missing in my life. In comparison to most of the world, I have it all. I am wealthy women--enough money to live comfortably, a husband who is my best friend and most honest critic, a healthy family, a relationship with God and his Son, and friends. Yep, I have it good. But there is still something lacking.

About a year ago, I suffered a disappointment at work. It wasn't catastrophic, but it was significant. About six months before that, I had a disappointment at my home church (mostly of my own making). But, together, these two events pretty much rocked my internal world. It was a painful time, but I am so thankful for it now.

It showed me that I have worked most of my life in an effort to be safe. At work, I labored for status and respect, thinking those things would keep me safe. Positionally and financially, I had gotten on pretty well. But it was a struggle; a struggle that tore at my heart. I wasn't comfortable and I sure wasn't the person that I want or am called to be.  

So a change had to be made. We decided to move to the Portland area where we have wanted to live for almost a decade. But things don't always come fast. In September, my husband and I started praying, dreaming, and planning. In June, he left for Vancouver to look for work. In between, we prayed some more, I started Haleighanna's Hands, sold our house, moved in with my mother, and went back to Portland to find a place to live. Today I quit my job.  

I am going to Vancouver to work on my business, Haleighanna's Hands. I am going to Vancouver to try something different. I am going to Vancouver so that at least once in my life, I can say I took a flyer on a dream.


No comments: