Monday, July 22, 2013

Haleighanna's Hands: Traveling Light

 
English Landing Park River Walk in Parkville, Missouri
 
In less than two weeks, I will pack up my crap and my beloved dog Jack to travel west. I have lived in Kansas City almost all of my life (except for a two-year exile to Minot, North Dakota) and so my ties and memories are pretty strong. I decided to say goodbye to my old stomping grounds, anticipating that I’d be sad. I was wrong.
I decided to start in Parkville, Missouri. It’s a beautiful little town on the outskirts of Kansas City. The main street is surrounded by lovely old buildings and a dreamy, yesteryear vibe. Not far from there is a park that runs along the Missouri river.

I spent many hours walking the trail. I’d go there to think. I’d listen to the river rushing by and dream. When I was troubled, I’d go there to work things out and seek God. It is a very special place and I’d thought I’d be sad to see it go.

The bank of the Missouri River where I'd go to think and dream.

As I walked around, I felt something strange. Instead of adding the weight that sadness brings, I felt the weight being lifted off. Each place I looked at felt like a stone falling off my shoulders. I realized that as much as I love these places and all that had happened in them, they were actually holding me back.

Park University's main campus--totally yesteryear gothic

The lighter I felt, the happier and more at peace I felt. There is happiness in letting go. It seems that the past with its unmet longings, dashed expectations, and even victories can finally rest. Not carrying it around means that I am lighter for the journey ahead.

No comments: