Thursday, October 3, 2013

Art Journal Thursday: Abstract to Transformation

 
I have been experimenting with abstracts. Earlier this week I attended an encaustic class and decided to play with my acrylics in a similar way. While it was a lot of fun, I found that I had inadvertently created the shape of a butterfly. I noticed it when I turned the piece on its side. So I decided to finish the shape.

Funny how the unconscious mind creates recognizable shapes while the conscious mind is trying to create chaos.

The butterfly appeared and the abstract just flew away.

I used paper towels to take away the Payne's Gray paint to give some dimension. 

I love the contrasting colors.

I laid down an old book page to dispel the empty page anxiety.
 
I chose this verse because of the transformative qualities. This life is all about refinement, about being moved and changed.
 
If you can't read my writing, the verse is 2 Corinthians 3:18
And we all, who with unveiled faces contemplate the Lord’s glory, are being transformed into his image with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit.

No comments: